How to Protect and Improve the Look of Your Toenails
Healthy, good-looking toenails are a thing of beauty! When all is well, those nails not only help protect you from infection and injury, but they look stylish, too! However, toenails are easily damaged and can wind up looking discolored, ragged, thickened, and all-in-all unsightly if you don’t take good care of them.
Here are some tips to help you protect and improve the look of your toenails:
- Make sure the shoe fits. Shoes that are too tight in the toe box can push toe borders downward. Shoes that are too lose can slide around and slam into nails repeatedly. Either situation could lead to an injury such as an ingrown nail or bruising underneath the nail.
- Let your feet breathe. Feet and nails trapped in sweaty shoes and socks are far more likely to develop fungal infections. Choose breathable and moisture-wicking fabrics when possible, and change socks and shoes when they start getting damp.
- Clean your feet. You should wash them daily with mild soap, then dry completely. Another good idea? Moisturize after your shower, then put on a clean pair of socks.
- Don’t go barefoot in public. Fungi like to hide in places like locker rooms, pools, playgrounds, and showers. At the bare minimum, protect your feet with flip flops or shower shoes.
- Trim your nails correctly. We recommend you cut mostly straight across; you shouldn’t round the corners nearly as much as you would with fingernails. Keep them short but not too short—about even with the toe tips is good. File sharp edges gently.
- Only choose reputable salons. If you enjoy pedicures—and who doesn’t?—make sure you only get them from licensed professionals and facilities with high standards of cleanliness. The best spas disinfect all their tools in an autoclave. Pipeless chairs are also a big plus. Don’t be afraid to bring your own tools.
- If you have an ingrown toenail: You should visit one of our offices for care. We’ll numb the toe, remove the ingrown nail (and if necessary, a portion of the nail matrix), and send you home with whatever additional medications or antibiotics you might need. The pain relief will be immediate.
- If you have a fungal nail infection: Give us a call. We offer a great one-two punch for fungal nails—laser therapy and KeryFlex. The laser therapy kills the underlying infection, while the KeryFlex bonds to the nail in order to seal it and provide an immediate cosmetic improvement.
We hope you had no trouble keeping your toenails looking and feeling great! If you are concerned about them, give us a call and our team of experts will be glad to help. Just reach out to the office nearest to you:
- Rego Park: (718) 896-4433
- Plainview: (516) 822-9595
- Flushing: (728) 969-2266