You can’t find shoes that fit. Your big toe aches even with just a short walk around the block. The toe is starting to overlap your second toe and causing painful irritation. Yes, it’s probably high time to get your bunion fixed. You may think that a procedure like this is minor, but you still need to prepare for bunion surgery in many of the same ways as you would for a major procedure.
We need to know you are a good candidate for surgery, so we will prescribe tests to test your lungs and heart, as well as your blood and urine (to rule out certain diseases). If you are on a blood thinner, we will tell you when to stop taking it to reduce your risk of bleeding.
These are some of the medical criteria for surgery, but you also need to think about more practical considerations. For example:
- Who will be available to help you before the procedure and drive you home afterward?
- Are dressings and surgical boots provided, or do you need to purchase them? You may be able to rent crutches or knee walkers if needed.
- How about your home? Will you be able to get in and out, or up and down stairs? You will want to make some accommodations to make things easier those first couple of weeks. For instance, you may want to set up a downstairs bed or modify your shower.
- Is someone available to care for pets and keep them from jumping on you or tripping you up?
- You need to eat to maintain your strength and heal well. Who is handling meals? Do you have some easy ones in the freezer to heat up?
The more prepared you are, the calmer you will be and the more energy you can devote to healing rather than dealing with frustrating situations.
Be sure to talk this all over with our staff as you prepare. We have helped thousands of others and have many helpful tips to smooth your road. Call Aadvanced Foot Care Associates with your questions and concerns, or to set up a consultation about whether surgery is the right step for you. You can reach us at these phone numbers—Rego Park (718) 896-4433, Plainview (516) 822-9595, Flushing (718) 969-2266—or through the contact form on our website. We’ll help the entire process go as smoothly as possible.